Best American Express Card for Excellent Credit
- Perfect for frequent spenders
- No annual fee
- Bonus for new users
Variable APR14.24% - 25.24%
Cash Advance APR26.49%
Bonus OffersEarn 10,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $1,000 in purchases in your first 3 months. Terms apply.
Intro APR0% on Purchases and Balance Transfers for 15 months
- Rated #3 in 6 Best Credit Cards for Excellent Credit
- Earn 10,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $1,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Low intro APR: 0% for 15 months on purchases and balance transfers, then a variable rate, currently 14.24% to 25.24%.
- $0 balance transfer fee. Balance transfers must be requested within 60 days from account opening.
- No annual fee.
- 2x points at US supermarkets, on up to $6,000 per year in purchases (then 1x); 1x points on other purchases.
- Use your Card 20 or more times on purchases in a billing period and earn 20% more points on those purchases less returns and credits.
- Expanding merchant acceptance: Over 1 million more places in the U.S. started accepting American Express® Cards in the last year.
- Terms Apply.
Our Detailed Review
The more you spend, the more you earn. You score double points at grocery stores, which is awesome since you don’t have to be a luxury spender to benefit from this card.
No major complaints about this card. However, the bonus offer for new members isn’t as impressive as the deal that other cards offer.
Application Process: Apply online and get an instant response. Sometimes it takes 7 to 10 days if an underwriter has to personally review your app.
Bonus Offers: New members get 15,000 Membership Rewards Points for spending $1,000 in the first 3 months. This is a totally attainable goal, even if you just put everyday purchases like food and gasoline on your card.
Rewards: You can do quite a bit with the points you accumulate on this card. Trade them in for gift cards or merchandise, use them to pay for purchases, or redeem them for travel-related perks. You can also transfer your points to eligible frequent traveler programs.
APR: Enjoy a 0% APR for the first 15 months. After that, you’ll have a variable APR of 13.99% to 24.99%. Cash advances have a 26.24% APR, and there’s a 29.99% penalty APR (so pay your bill on time!).
Annual Fee: Our favorite number: Zero! And it’s always $0, not just for the first year.