Why People Love it
- Earn 2x rewards points on airline bookings in addition to hotel and car rental expenses
- Earn 6,000 bonus points each year, even if you don't use your credit card
- In addition to miles, points can be used for gift cards, flights, hotel stays, event access, and more
Application Process: Online, through Chase.
Annual Fee: $99, which is applied to your first billing statement.
APR: A variable rate between 16.99% to 23.99%.
Rewards: Rewards options are numerous, and include:
- Earning 2x more points on every $1 spent on Southwest purchases and Rapid Rewards Hotel and Car Rental partner purchases, with 1 point per $1 spent on everything else. Note that Southwest is affiliated with popular hotel chains like Hertz and Hyatt.
- When you complete 100 one-way flights or earn 110,000 points in a year, you earn Companion Pass status, which allows you to bring a guest for free, valid for the remainder of the year you qualified, and the entirety of the next year.
- Redeem points for gift cards, flights, hotel stays, event access and more.
Bonus Offers: Bonus offers are generous, and include:
- 40,000 points for spending a minimum of $1,000 within 3 months of opening the account. As of this writing, there's a limited-time bonus offer of 60,000 points.
- 6,000 bonus points on your cardmember anniversary.
With generous rewards and sign-up bonuses, this card is perfect for Southwest Airlines/budget travelers. Additionally, there are no foreign transaction fees, and you automatically earn 6,000 bonus points each year, regardless of spending.
The cons of using one of the best airline miles credit cards are surprisingly limited. But if you're looking for potential negatives, there's the fact that the annual fee cannot be waived, and the fact that Southwest operates primarily in the domestic United States. There are limited international destinations, so if you're a frequent international traveler, pick another on this list of the best airline credit cards.
- Rated #4 in 5 Best Airline Credit Cards