Best Medium Hold Gel
This gel does a little more than hold your hair in place; it's also great for hydrating your roots. More than that, it works across different hair types while providing just a touch of shine.
The tube may say "firm hold" but it's really not. Indeed, for a gel, it has one of the most average holds out there. We consider it a medium. And, some guys don't fall head over heels for the scent (though most do).
- Rated #5 in 10 Best Hair Gels for Men
This gel is created for extra strength (though it's not exactly that) - and for men that want to create the illusion of thicker hair. It offers a medium-to-firm hold and a natural shine so it never looks like too much product, even when used to create volume. Now, you don't need a lot of this product to get the results you need, and that makes it ever so much more valuable for the price. It's also got a gorgeous scent that will never overpower your other products.
- Hold and Control: Just ignore whatever the bottle says about the hold; it's not extra or anything like it. If they advertised it as a medium-hold gel, we would have moved this gel way up on the list because that's what it is.
- Ability to Restyle: You might expect a little more ability to restyle your hair given the medium hold of this product, but you'll probably just need to apply more gel to reshape your style.
- Texturing Ability: Oh baby, you're going to love this if you have thinning hair that needs some lift. You're absolutely going to get some volume from this one, especially if you're not afraid of bringing your hair dryer into the mix every now and again.
- Shine Level: Expect a natural shine here. It's definitely a medium - not a powerful tidal wave of wetness. Yay!
- Flakes and Washability: No flakes; how awesome is that? And, it's not tough to get out of your hair either - unless you put too much in to begin with.
- Scent: There's nothing overly distinctive about the scent of this hair gel. At best, it's got an undefinable masculine smell, but it could also take on the scent of your shampoo as this Paul Mitchell product really doesn't have an odor that lingers.
Bottom Line: Not a bad gel at all, especially given the price. If you need a medium hold with a natural shine, you've got it here. We love its ability to add some volume while keeping hair in place. Most guys love the smell - and girls don't mind it either, but there are a few people that don't fall in love with it. If you really can't handle strong smells, please don't try this gel.