- Offers 5% back at Gap-brand stores
- Access to everyday discounts and special deals at Gap stores
- Qualify with bad or limited credit
- Mediocre rewards on non-Gap purchases
- Regular discounts could encourage you to overspend
- Card typically comes with a relatively low credit limit
Whether you like to keep up with the latest fashion trends or you just like to have a diverse wardrobe, the Gap Visa® Card will help you rack up rewards on your clothing purchases.
But like most store credit cards, this one generally makes sense for loyal shoppers only. Read on to learn more about the card’s rewards and perks to see if it’s right for you.
Gap Visa® Card review: Gap Visa® Card highlights
The Gap Visa® Card offers a 5% rewards rate at Gap and other Gap brands, and a 1% rewards rate everywhere else. That’s uncommon for a store credit card, because many are closed-loop and only allow you to use them at the retailer.
The card also comes with a slew of other benefits, including discounts every time you shop at Gap, special shopping events, and even a birthday gift. You’ll get all that with no annual fee.
Note that the GapCard offers all the same benefits and terms as the Gap Visa® Card. But since you can only use it at Gap stores, it's not a great choice.
Gap Visa® Card rewards and perks
While it’s no replacement for some of the top rewards credit cards out there, the Gap Visa® Card offers some impressive rewards for a store card. Specifically, you’ll:
- Earn 5 points per dollar spent at Gap, Old Navy, Athletica, and Banana Republic
- Earn 1 point per dollar spent everywhere else
For every 500 points you earn, you'll get a $5 reward, which means you get a 5% rewards rate on purchases made at Gap brands and 1% back on everything else.
That's decent, but note that you can do better with a card that offers 1.5% to 2% back on every purchase you make.
One drawback, though, is that you can only redeem your cash back at Gap, either in-store or online. So, if you want more flexibility in how you can use your rewards, you may want to look at some cash-back credit cards.
Gap Visa Card® benefits
Even if you’re not getting the best rewards program around, the card can still be worth it to loyal Gap shoppers. Here’s what else you get with the card:
- A 20% off discount and free shipping on your first Gap purchase using the card.
- An extra 10% off every time you shop at Gap, Gap Outlet, and Gap Factory stores.
- Access to special shopping events with exclusive discounts.
- More points on special bonus shopping days.
- A special birthday gift every year.
- An extra 1,000 points if you sign up for paperless statements and marketing emails.
If you earn at least 5,000 points in a calendar year, you’ll be eligible for Gap silver status, which gives you even more benefits, including:
- A 20% quarterly rewards bonus
- Choose your own sale day
- Free online shipping with no minimum purchase
- Free basic alterations on Banana Republic purchases
- Special silver cardmember events
Bonus rewards points don't count toward silver status, though, so don’t get your hopes up.
Gap Visa® Card costs and fees
The Gap Visa® Card doesn’t charge an annual fee, so you don’t have to worry about needing to break even on your rewards every year. But like other store credit cards, its interest rate is extreme, charging a variable APR of 26.24%.
If you use your card for a cash advance, you’ll pay a 28.24% variable APR, plus a fee of 4% of the advance amount or $10, whichever is greater. Also, keep in mind that cash advances don’t qualify for a grace period, so interest will start accruing immediately.
It’s also important to consider the opportunity cost of using the Gap Visa® Card. For example, if you spend just a few hundred dollars a year at Gap and thousands elsewhere, it makes more sense to get a card that offers a high rewards rate on all of your purchases so you’re not missing out on more rewards.
Does the Gap Visa® Card make sense for me?
As we mentioned before, the Gap Visa® Card isn’t right for everyone, even with all of its generous benefits.
The card is really best for people who shop at Gap often, or at least buy clothing frequently, and are fine with using their rewards at Gap only.
The card is also a good choice for people who are new to credit or have a poor credit history and don’t qualify for better credit cards. You can use it to build your credit and then potentially move onto better cards from there.
It’s not a good idea, though, if you think the rewards, discounts, and sales will tempt you to overspend. One good way to avoid that is to create a monthly budget and stick to it.
Application process: Online or in-store. Approval can take as little as 60 seconds.
Annual Fee: None
APR: A variable rate of 26.24%. For cash advances, you'll pay an APR of 28.24%.
Rewards: The card offers 5 points per dollar spent at Gap and Gap brand stores, and 1 point per dollar spent elsewhere. For every 500 points you earn, you'll get a $5 reward you can use at Gap.
Bonus Offers: Get a 20% discount and free shipping on your first Gap purchase using the card, plus an extra 10% off every time you shop at Gap, Gap Outlet, and Gap Factory stores.
- Rated #5 in 6 Best Store Credit Cards
- Save 20% and enjoy free shipping on your first purchase with the Gap Credit Card.
- Earn 5 points per $1 spent at Gap, Banana Republic, Old Navy and Athleta. Earn 1 point per $1 spent everywhere else Visa credit cards are accepted.
- Get a $5 Reward Card for every 500 points earned.
- Access to special events with exclusive discounts, bonus point shopping days, and a special birthday gift.
- Earn 5,000 points in a calendar year and enjoy Gap Silver Status with benefits like 20% quarterly bonus Rewards points, free online shipping, and more.
- No annual fee.