- Track your progress with a free FICO score delivered to you on a monthly basis
- Don't sweat the small stuff—there's forgiveness when it comes to late payments
- Earn rewards without dealing with hefty fees as a given and no annual fee
Here's where things get a bit groan-worthy: you have to activate the bonus categories for every quarter in order to cash in on the bonuses. Additionally, Discover isn't as widely accepted as Visa and Mastercard. A final consideration when it comes to picking your first-time credit card? If you spend a large proportion of your money on gas and dining, the Discover It Student Chrome Card would probably be better suited to you.
- Get a dollar-for-dollar match of all the cash back you've earned at the end of your first year, automatically.
- Earn 5% cash back at different places each quarter like gas stations, grocery stores, restaurants or Amazon.com up to the quarterly maximum each time you activate. Plus, earn unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases – automatically.
- Good Grades Rewards: $20 cash back each school year your GPA is 3.0 or higher for up to the next 5 years.
- No annual fee. No late fee on first late payment. No APR change for paying late.
- Get 100% U.S. based customer service & get your free Credit Scorecard with your FICO® Credit Score, number of recent inquiries and more.
- Freeze It® on/off switch for your account that prevents new purchases, cash advances & balance transfers in seconds.
- Receive FREE Social Security number alerts-Discover will monitor thousands of risky websites when you sign up.
- 0% intro APR on purchases for 6 months, then the standard variable purchase APR of 14.49% - 23.49%.
Application Process: Apply in minutes online.
Annual Fee: None, which is practically a necessity for a best first credit card.
APR: A variable rate between 13.99% to 22.99%.
Rewards: Earn 5% cash back on rotating categories such as Amazon.com, transportation, restaurants and more, for up to $1,500 spending per quarter with 1% cash back on all other categories. Rewards can be redeemed as an account credit, a donation to charities, e-gift cheques, and can also be used to pay for purchases at Amazon.com.
Bonus Offers: The Discover It for Students credit card offers a number of useful bonus offers, including:
- A dollar for dollar match on all the cash back you’ve earned in the first year
- Good grades reward: Get $20 cash back every time your yearly GPA is 3.0 or higher for the next 5 years
- No increase in APR as a result of late payments
- No late fee on your first late payment (though Money Under 30 reminds users that a late payment will still negatively affect your credit score, so avoid them as a general rule)
Variable APR14.24% - 23.24%
Cash Advance APR26.24%
Intro APR0% on Purchases for 6 months and 10.99% on Balance Transfers for 6 months.
Bonus OffersGet a dollar-for-dollar match of all the cash back you’ve earned at the end of your first year, automatically.
- Rated #1 in 7 Best Credit Cards When You Have No Credit