Best Credit Card for Students With Good Grades
- Get a dollar-for-dollar match of all the cash back you've earned at the end of your first year, automatically.
- 2% cash back at restaurants and gas stations on up to $1,000 in combined purchases every quarter - no sign-ups needed. Plus, earn unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases – automatically.
- Good Grades Rewards: $20 statement credit each school year your GPA is 3.0 or higher for up to the next 5 years.
- No annual fee. No late fee on first late payment. No APR change for paying late.
- Get 100% U.S. based customer service & get your free Credit Scorecard with your FICO® Credit Score, number of recent inquiries and more.
- Freeze It® on/off switch for your account that prevents new purchases, cash advances & balance transfers in seconds.
- Receive FREE Social Security number alerts-Discover will monitor thousands of risky websites when you sign up.
- 0% intro APR on purchases for 6 months, then the standard variable purchase APR of 14.49% - 23.49%.
- No fee for your first late payment
- Get a statement credit each year when you have good grades
- Free access to your FICO credit score as you build credit
- The APR range is wide with a high maximum
- Discover isn't widely accepted overseas, so it might not be great for studying abroad
Application Process: Apply online and get a response within 60 seconds.
Rewards: Earn 2% cash back at restaurants and gas stations on up to $1,000 in combined purchases every quarter. Plus, earn unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases.
Bonus Offers: If you maintain a 3.0 GPA or higher, you earn a $20 bonus each year. You can snag this bonus annually for up to 5 years.
APR: 0% introductory APR on purchases for six months and 10.99% introductory APR on balance transfers for six months. After that, 14.49% to 23.49% variable.
Annual Fee: Our favorite price to pay: zero dollars and zero cents!
The average college student shells out more than $1,200 annually for textbooks. Combine that with the fact that you still have to pay for the courses themselves, plus food and other essentials, and it’s easy to see why many students have empty bank accounts.
That’s one reason why they turn to student credit cards like the Discover it Student Chrome. Student credit cards provide a convenient way to buy necessities while helping you establish a solid credit history. Just remember to keep your credit utilization rate below 30% and pay your bill on time so you improve - rather than destroy - your FICO.
DISCOVER IT STUDENT CHROME CREDIT CARD REVIEW
Looking for a solid starter card? Venture into the credit card world with the Discover it Student Chrome.
It has a lower rewards rate than the Discover it Student Cash Back card, but aside from that, the cards basically have the same fees and features. It’s pretty easy to get approved for either card, but we recommend using the preapproval tool before you submit an application. It won’t hurt your credit.
There’s a 6-month introductory APR of 0%, which means you don’t pay interest on purchases during this time. This is the perfect time to stock up on dorm essentials or prepay a few recurring bills while racking up cash rewards.
DISCOVER IT STUDENT CHROME CREDIT CARD REWARDS AND PERKS
It’s easy to earn cash rewards with the Discover it Student Chrome card because you get paid to buy things you need, like food and gas. You earn 2% cash back at restaurants and gas stations for the first $1,000 you spend every quarter, plus unlimited 1% cash back on other purchases.
As an added bonus, Discover matches your cash back rewards at the end of your first year as a cardholder. There’s no limit on the cash-back match.
You don’t have to wait until you reach a designated threshold like $25 or $50 before you redeem cash rewards. Redeem any time, for any amount.
You can request a statement credit or use your cash-back rewards for Amazon.com purchases. $1 in cash-back rewards equals $1 at Amazon.com, so your rewards don’t lose value if you choose shopping over a statement credit. Rewards never expire as long as your account remains in good standing, so you have the option to save rewards for holidays or large purchases.
Rocking your courses? Score a $20 statement credit once per year if you keep your GPA at a 3.0 or higher. This offer is good for 5 years, so you can earn up to $100 just for being a good student.
DISCOVER IT STUDENT CHROME CREDIT CARD BENEFITS
Discover values its customers. As a Discover it Student Chrome cardholder, you can expect the following benefits:
- Complimentary FICO score monitoring
- $0 fraud liability
- On/off switch freezes your account at your discretion
- Free overnight card replacement if yours gets lost, stolen, or damaged
- No penalty APR (more on fees and APR below)
If you run into an issue, contact Discover’s US-based customer service team 24 hours a day.
DISCOVER IT STUDENT CHROME CREDIT CARD COSTS AND FEES
As with most student credit cards, there is no annual fee for the Discover it Student Chrome card. You don’t have to pay a monthly fee or maintenance costs either.
In fact, this card has very few fees compared to other credit cards. There are no overlimit fees or foreign transaction fees, and the late fee for your first missed payment gets waived. After that, expect to pay up to $37 for late payments.
There’s also a $37 returned payment fee. You can potentially get hit with that fee and the $37 late fee, so make sure you have funds available if you pay with your bank account.
Balance transfers have a fee of 3% of each transfer amount. There’s a 6-month promotional APR of 10.99% for balance transfers, but it jumps to somewhere between 14.74% and 23.74% after that.
Purchases have the same variable APR as balance transfers. Expect to pay between 14.74% and 23.74% depending on your credit history.
You can avoid these fees during your 6-month promotional period. During this time, there’s a 0% APR for purchases.
Cash advances have a 26.74% APR. You also have to pay a fee of either $10 or 5% of each cash advance, whichever is greater.
There’s never a penalty APR, so you don’t have to worry about your interest skyrocketing after a late payment. You should still try to stay current on your bill, though.
DISCOVER IT STUDENT CHROME CREDIT CARD MAKE SENSE FOR ME?
Yes, if you’re a college student with limited credit who wants a reputable rewards card. The cash-back bonus for high GPAs may motivate you to keep your grades up, and the rewards you earn can help you pay for college essentials.
This is not a good card for you if you’re out of college or already have several other credit cards. The Discover it Student Chrome card is a great starter card that grows with you, but there are better cards available for people with established credit histories.