It’s easy to assume that healthy recipes can’t also be cheap, fast and easy. But, it’s wrong. You can get dinner for two on the table without spending a fortune or wearing a path across the kitchen floor. You just have to keep your eyes open for the recipes that don’t need a lot of ingredients - and don’t make up for the number with fats and oils. Try this recipe on for size. It’s built for two, plus it’s quick, it’s easy and it’s cheap as chips.
- 12 ounces Chicken breasts, skinless, boneless and cut into strips
- 1/2 teaspoon Chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Garlic powder
- 1 small Bell pepper, cut into strips (your choice, red, green, yellow - they’re all good)
- 2 tablespoons Reduced-calorie ranch dressing
- 2 large Tortillas (try for whole wheat), warmed
- 1/2 cup Fresh salsa (chopped tomatoes, onions, cilantro with a pinch of red wine vinegar) or the bottled variety
- 1/3 cup Reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese
In a bowl, combine the spices, chicken breast strips and bell pepper slices. Stir to combine. Spray a frying pan with cooking spray (or use a drop of oil if you don’t have spray). Add the chicken and pepper mix and cook over medium-high heat. Frequently Stir for 4-6 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through. Remove pan from the heat and add in the ranch dressing. Divide this between the tortillas and top with the remainder of the ingredients. Roll and serve.