Best for Frequent Travel Abroad
Variable APR17.49% - 24.49%
Cash Advance APR26.49%
Rewards Rate3 Avios for every $1 spent on British Airways purchases, plus 1 Avios per dollar on everyday purchases
Bonus OffersEarn 50,000 points after you spend $3,000 in the first 3 months. Earn an additional 25,000 bonus Avios after you spend $10,000 total on purchases within your first year from account opening for a total of 75,000 bonus Avios. Earn a further 25,000 bonus Av
- 50,000 bonus Avios after you spend $3,000 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening.
- Earn an additional 25,000 bonus Avios after you spend $10,000 total on purchases within your first year from account opening for a total of 75,000 bonus Avios.
- Earn a further 25,000 bonus Avios after you spend $20,000 total on purchases within your first year from account opening for a total of 100,000 bonus Avios.
- Every calendar year you make $30,000 in purchases on your British Airways Visa card, you'll earn a Travel Together Ticket good for two years.
- In addition to the bonus Avios, you will also get 3 Avios for every $1 spent on British Airways purchases and 1 Avios for every $1 spent on all other purchases.
- Pay no foreign transaction fees when you travel abroad.
- Chip Technology allows you to use your card for chip based purchases in Europe and beyond, while still giving you the ability to use your card as you do today at home.
- Offers a high rewards rate if you travel abroad frequently
- Provides generous bonuses that reward regular spending
- No foreign transaction fee
- Avios can only be redeemed with Oneworld partners, and the only domestic partner is American Airlines.
- British Airways is known for high surcharges and taxes
- The card requires a lot of spending to get the max sign-up bonus
Application Process: Online, through Chase.
Rewards: Earn 3 Avios per dollar spent on British Airways purchases, and 1 Avios per dollar spent on other purchases.
Bonus Offers: Here's how the sign-up bonus and annual ticket bonus work:
- 50,000 bonus Avios after spending $3,000 within 3 months of opening the account
- Earn additional 25,000 Avios after spending a total of $10,000 on purchases within the first year (for a total of up to 75,000 Avios)
- Earn an additional 25,000 Avios after spending a total of $20,000 on purchases within the first year (for a total of up to 100,000 Avios)
- For every $30,000 spent using your British Airways Visa Signature Card, you earn a Travel Together ticket valid for 2 years
APR: 17.74% - 24.74% variable
Annual Fee: $95
If you love travel both in the United States and around the world, British Airways Avios, the British Airways version of an airline reward mile, are a valuable currency. The easiest and fastest way to earn those miles is with the British Airways Visa Signature® credit card from Chase.
With the British Airways Visa, you can earn up to 100,000 bonus Avios in the first year you have the card. Plus you’ll earn 3 Avios per dollar spent at BA and 1 Avois per dollar everywhere else. If you’re a big spender and want to earn big travel rewards, the British Airways Visa Signature® card is a great choice.
British Airways Visa Signature® review
This card’s massive 100,000 Avois sign-up bonus is one of the best out there today. However, it only works for those who put big purchase dollars on their card each year.
Earn 50,000 Avois after spending $3,000 on purchases within three months of opening a new account. Then earn an additional 25,000 Avios after spending $10,000 total (includes the first $3,000) within the first year and another 25,000 after spending $20,000 total in the first year. The first 50,000 is easy to get, but depending on your spending habits the second half of the 100,000 Avois bonus may be tough to earn.
On top of the bonus Avois, you earn 1 Avois per dollar for regular purchases and 3 Avois per dollar for purchases at British Airways. This is not the best reward program out there, but if you value British Airways Avois, it is a great card.
British Airways Avios are good for booking rewards flights on OneWorld partners airlines including American Airlines, Aer Lingus, Cathay Pacific, Iberia, Qantas, and Qatar Airways.
The card has no foreign transaction fee and offers travel and purchase benefits, but does charge a $95 annual fee.
British Airways Visa Signature® rewards and perks
The rewards program from the British Airways credit card is best for those with bigger annual spending habits than average. To earn the full 100,000 Avois signup bonus, you’ll have to spend $20,000 in your first year you have the card.
Each year, including the first year, you can earn a free Travel Together Ticket good for two years if you spend $30,000 on purchases. With the travel together ticket, you can bring a companion for free in the same cabin class - you still have to pay taxes and fees.
Regular flyers on British Airways do well with the card’s 3 Avois per dollar rewards level, but the 1 Avois per dollar elsewhere is not entirely exciting. But if you spend $30,000+ per year on the card, those Avois add up quick for free flights.
One of the most exciting uses for Avios, if you live in the United States, is booking short-haul flights on American Airlines through the British Airways website with Avios. Unlike booking British Airways flights, or booking American flights using American miles, when you use Avios to book on American you pay Avois based on distance. This makes some short distance flights very cheap. It's possible to find flights for as little as 5,000 Avios each way.
British Airways Visa Signature® credit card benefits
In addition to travel rewards, this card offers valuable travel and purchase protections.
For travel, the card provides auto rental collision damage waiver for most rentals cars in the US and abroad. It also includes baggage delay insurance and lost luggage reimbursement for trouble with your bags on your journey.
For purchases, the card includes purchase protection and extended warranty protection. That means if you accidentally drop your new phone and crack the screen a week after you get it, the repair is covered, among other situations.
British Airways Visa Signature® costs and fees
The British Airways card charges a $95 annual fee, which is not waived the first year. There are no foreign transaction fees, so you can use it anywhere in the world without worrying about pesky fees driving up the cost.
Balance transfers cost 5% with a $5 minimum and cash advances cost 5% with a $10 minimum. Late and returned payments cost up to $37 per occurrence.
The card charges variable rate APR, which means it can change at any time with market conditions. Purchase and balance transfer APRs are currently 17.74% to 24.74% based on your credit history. Cash advances charge a higher 26.74% variable APR.
Does the British Airways Visa Signature® make sense for me?
For big spenders and those who love flying on British Airways, the British Airways Visa is a great credit card. If this one doesn't seem like quite the right fit, be sure to check out our top travel credit cards to find the one that works best for your needs!