Brushing only cleans 60% of the surface of your teeth. That’s because the remaining 40% is located between your teeth, where brushing can’t reach. So, what can you do to make sure you’ve got that remaining 40% covered?
Find the best water flosser possible.
Poor oral hygiene can result in bad breath, cavities, gum disease, and a host of life-threatening health disorders. This is why dental health experts recommend regular flossing to clean the areas between your teeth.
String flossing versus water flossing.
Aside from being time-consuming, string flossing can cause bleeding or worsen gum sensitivity. It can also be difficult to reach certain areas.
A study has found that string flossing eliminates only 57.7 percent of plaque as opposed to a 74.4 percent plaque reduction with water flossing, when both are combined with manual brushing.
Make the wise switch.
While it’s bulkier and costs a lot more than string floss, investing in a water flosser is a no-brainer.
We gathered dozens of the best water flossers on the market and put them to the test. Our top picks are listed below and ranked according to the qualities that you may find most suitable for your flossing preference. We also found the best cordless water flosser, to satisfy a hands-free approach.
Our editors independently research, test, and recommend the best products; you can learn more about our review process here. We may receive commissions on purchases made from our chosen links.