Hair Growth Tips & Advice
Of course if you’re looking to regrow hair fast, hair growth products are a great place to start; however, there a number of other ways to increase hair growth as well. In order to help you on your journey to the luscious locks of your dreams, we have created a comprehensive guide of the best tips and secrets to grow hair fast.
Establishing a Daily Regimen Conducive to Hair Growth
Scalp health and how you care for you hair both play a large role in hair growth and retention. The shampoo and conditioner you use, how frequently you wash your hair, how often you color your hair, and frequency of heat treatment may all affect hair growth.
- Shampoo / Conditioners – In general, to promote hair growth and prevent hair loss, look for shampoos and conditioners that contain glycerin, silicone, red palm oil, camu camu, or Keratin—while avoiding anything with sulfates at all costs. Another good rule of thumb is, don’t shampoo without conditioning, but don’t feel the need to shampoo daily. Which leads us to…
- Frequency of Washing – For most people, washing your hair daily is not necessary. In fact, over washing is a big no-no when trying to grow hair because over washing can remove natural oils needed to promote hair health. So rather than washing daily try to do so every other day or every few days. However, if you’re someone who prefers to wash your hair daily, that’s fine too as long as you are using a quality shampoo and conditioner. Hair masks also do a great job replacing natural oil removed by washing, keeping hair well lubricated and less likely to break. Additionally, anytime you do shampoo, only lather the scalp and let the shampoo slide down the strands naturally as it’s rinsed out. This is much gentler and better for hair growth.
- Color Treatment – Well not great for hair, color treatment will not actively lead to hair loss. However, color treatment (especially if you go lighter) will reduce hair’s integrity and lead to breakage. So if you’re going to opt for a lighter look, be okay with the fact you’ll have to style it short for a while. Additionally, while extensions may seem like the quick way to achieve long, luscious locks; extensions (even clip ins) can rip hair out at the root and slow down the growth process.
- Heat Treatment – A good rule of thumb here is try to never blow dry and heat style on the same day. With how fast life moves we totally understand this is a really tough one for anyone who cannot simply step out of the shower and walk out the door (errr… most people). However, as much as possible, try to let your hair air dry or avoid straightening and curling. And for those days when you simply cannot beat the heat, you should always (always, always, ALWAYS) use a heat protectant. Paul Mitchell Heat Seal and Tresemmé Keratin Smooth are two of our favorites!
How to Speed up Hair Growth
In the interest of managing expectations, hair growth is (unfortunately) biologically different for everyone. While, in general, hair generally grows about half an inch per month, that isn’t always true for everyone. Growth that some individuals spend months working towards, others are able to achieve in weeks. So while you may not be able to do much about the fact that you’re just not genetically prone to fast hair growth, there are a number of ways to speed up the growth of your hair.
- Massage your scalp – It may sound silly, but massaging promotes blood flow to the scalp and in turn stimulates hair follicles. Combining a scalp massage with a deep conditioning hair mask or hot oil treatment once per week will work wonders on speeding up hair growth.
- Flip your hair upside down – Okay, so even if you didn’t think the last one sounded silly, this tip takes things to a-whole-nother level. Simply flipping your head over and letting your hair hang upside down for just two to four minutes per day is said to promote circulation and, in turn, make hair grow faster. It may sound crazy, but this is one of the most popular and longstanding tricks to speed up hair growth.
- Try an egg mask – Below we’ll go into more detail about everyday ingredients that make great hair treatments, but an egg mask (as disgusting as that sounds) once per month will significantly speed up hair growth by infusing follicles with a host of beneficial vitamins and minerals, including: protein, iron, sulfur, phosphorus, zinc, and selenium. Visit our friends at Quora to learn more about how to whip up an egg mask with ingredients you’ve got laying around at home.
Hair Growth Vitamins and Supplements
Hair growth vitamins are one of the newest beauty trends to hit the scene, but with so many to choose from how do you know which actually work? First and foremost, don’t buy into a product just because a celebrity endorses it. Appearing all over Instagram does not necessarily a good product make.
So then how do you know what is worth trying? Well, let us tell you, we have tested a number of hair growth vitamins and Nature’s Bounty Hair Skin and Nails has by far proven to be the most effective. Within a week we noticed hair looking and feeling thicker, shinier, and overall, healthier. Well we highly recommend the tablets, as they seem to produce just slightly better results; the gummies are a great (and tasty) option as well! Both can be purchased on Amazon or at any local pharmacy.
And, if you’re still not sold, you can’t go wrong with plain old Biotin!
10 Ways to Grow Hair with Little to No Effort
Like we mentioned previously, if you didn’t win the hair lottery there isn’t really a magic solution to growing long, thick locks overnight. However, below we have a created a list of the top 10 ways to achieve beautiful, healthy hair with little to no effort.
- Maintain good scalp health. Since this is the second time we have mentioned this hair growth tip you can probably guess it’s a big one. Hair tends to shed in the shower whether you wash your hair daily or weekly. In order to maintain scalp health we recommend a moisturizing shampoo or conditioner that will keep the scalp healthy without making heir too oily. A good weekly moisturizing treatment may be good option as well (we recommend Dove Nutritive Solutions Intensive Repair Deep Treatment Mask or It’s a 10 Miracle Hair Mask). And like we mentioned previously, a scalp massage is never a bad idea either!
- Get haircuts regularly. Sounds counterintuitive, but regular trims will prevent split ends and in turn prevent further breakage. Additionally, regular trims will make the ends of your hair appear fuller and less wispy. However, if you simply cannot bring yourself to get trims every eight to ten weeks, try a reparative shampoo and conditioner combo such as Tresemmé Repair and Protect 7.
- Try a boar bristle brush. Remember when you were a little kid and your grandmother told you to make sure you brushed your hair 100 strokes every night before bed? Well that’s the idea here. Okay, so 100 strokes may be a little excessive (and actually not recommended to promote hair growth), brushing your hair redistributes sebum (natural hair oils that help prevent breakage) to keep hair lubricated and healthy. And boar bristle brushes do an outstanding job of making sure your locks are perfectly oiled from root to tip. Okay, these brushes aren’t cheap, but a good one will last you for years to come. (As an added tip, make sure that you only brush hair when dry. Water actually weakens the elasticity of hair, so brushing when wet will cause more breakage at the root or middle of hair.)
- Maintain a healthy diet. Now, we know what you’re thinking, “yeah, yeah, yeah—one more of life’s problems that’s magically cured by eating right.” But seriously, fueling your body with healthy proteins and vitamins is a great way to increase hair growth—we highly recommend fatty acids such as flaxseed or avocado, anything rich in vitamin C or vitamin B complex, and iron. Additionally, sugar destroys collagen and keratin, which are both needed for hair growth. So (while it seems nearly impossible since sugar is in literally everything) try to avoid foods with sugar if you’re trying to promote hair growth.
- Rinse cold. As silly (and uncomfortable) as it sounds, always rinse out conditioner with cool rather than warm water. Doing so will close up the cuticles and leave hair silky and shiny all day long (beauty is pain, remember?)! Also, if you’re feeling adventurous, add a little apple cider vinegar to your cold water rinse routine. Trust us, you will experience shine for DAYS!
- Try castor oil. Even if you’re not a big fan of DIY remedies, castor oil is a very simple way to condition hair with vitamin E and fatty acids. Simply massage equal parts castor oil and coconut, olive, or almond oil into scalp and leave on for 30-45 minutes before shampooing hair. Using this homemade mask, even just once per week, will promote hair growth and increase silkiness and shine. But, if homemade just isn’t your thing, an oil based hair treatment will also do the trick (we love Ouai Treatment Masque!).
- Do not towel wrap your hair. This is an EASY one, but something not many people think about. Wrapping your hair in a towel causes serious breakage as hair gets caught in the woven fibers. Instead, let your hair air dry, or try a really thin hair turban made just for wrapping wet hair.
- Avoid stress. Easier said than done, right? But in all seriousness, stress can speed up hair loss by disrupting the normal hair growth cycle. So while stress in inevitable, try to focus on breathing exercises, mediation, and other relaxation techniques in order to avoid premature hair loss.
- Say no to cotton. Pillow cases that is! Okay, okay, we know this one seems a little high maintenance, but truthfully, trading in your cotton pillow cases for something sateen or silk will reduce friction and decrease hair breakage as you sleep.
- Ditch the pony. Pony tails are another common hindrance to hair growth that not many people know about. Why, you may ask? Well, hair ties will snag and rip hair out at the follicle, which can lead to serious breakage. But since pony tails are just a fact of life for most, we recommend keeping ponies low and loose, switching up pony tail placement regularly, and never sleeping with your hair in a pony.
Hair Growth Medications
Now, if you've truly tried everything and nothing seems to work, it may be time to explore other hair growth options.
- Over-the-counter: Minoxidil is the active ingredient in Rogaine and comes in the form of a liquid or foam that can be rubbed into the scalp twice a day to grow hair and prevent further hairloss. Minoxidil may result in hair growth, a slower rate of hair loss, or both. It takes about 16 weeks to see optimal results and even after that you must continue use to retain the benefits of this medication.
- Prescription: Finasteride (Propecia) is a prescription drug (available only to men) that is taken daily in pill form. Again, this medication may slow hair loss or result in new hair growth, but you will need to continue taking, even after you begin to see results, in order to retain the benefits.
Do be aware that both of the above medications may cause unwanted side effects, so to determine if either option is right for you we recommend you consult with your doctor or dermatologist prior to use.
Got a hair growth tip, favorite product, or at home remedy? Please share it in the comments below. We would love to hear from you!