- Generous credit limit increases (we’re talking thousands of dollars!)
- No annual fees for active-duty military members
- Unlimited cash back on gasoline purchases
There’s an annual fee. We think it’s reasonable, but some people don’t.
Also, you need decent credit for approval. We’ve seen a handful of people get approved with scores in the 620s, but you generally need a score that’s at least in the high 600s or low 700s.
- $200 statement credit after you spend $1,000 in purchases on your new Card within the first 3 months.
- 6% cash back at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $6,000 per year in purchases, then 1%) - that means spending $60 a week at U.S. supermarkets could earn over $180 back per year.
- 3% cash back at U.S. gas stations and at select U.S. department stores, 1% back on other purchases.
- Low intro APR: 0% for 12 months on purchases and balance transfers, then a variable rate, currently 14.49% to 25.49%.
- Expanding merchant acceptance: Over 1 million more places in the U.S. started accepting American Express® Cards in the last year.
- $95 annual fee.
- Cash back is received in the form of Reward Dollars that can be easily redeemed for statement credits, gift cards, and merchandise.
- Terms Apply.
Application Process: Share information about your address, income, and Social Security number online for a decision in as little as one minute. If you don’t score an instant approval, don’t get discouraged - many reviewers report that they were approved after calling customer service.
Rewards: The Blue Cash Preferred Card from American Express is a general credit card, not an official gas credit card, yet it still made our list (and several others, including U.S. News, NerdWallet, and WalletHub) of the best gas credit cards because it has amazing perks. You get 3% back for gas purchases, and there’s no cash-back limit for gas! That’s a perk very few cards offer - even cards that focus specifically on gas benefits.
In addition to raking in the cash-back rewards at the gas station, you also get 6% on qualifying grocery stores (up to $600 every 12 months) and 1% on other purchases.
Bonus Offers: Spend $1,000 on gas, groceries, or pretty much whatever you want within 3 months and get rewarded with a $250 bonus. It’s applied directly to your statement 6 to 8 weeks later, so you don’t have to frantically watch your mailbox for a check.
APR: Few things warm our hearts like a 0% APR, so we’re psyched that there’s no interest for the first 12 months. After that, expect to pay a variable APR that’s between 13.99% and 24.99% - not too shabby if you end up on the lower end of that range. Your credit history affects your rate, so consider cleaning up your report before you apply.
Annual Fee: We know you probably won’t be excited by this statement, but here we go: This card has an annual fee. However, the card’s benefits make the fee well worth it, so we’re okay with shelling out $95 once a year in exchange for generous cash-back rewards on gas and groceries.
Variable APR14.49% - 25.49%
Cash Advance APR26.74%
Intro APR0% on Purchases and Balance Transfers for 12 months
Bonus Offers$200 statement credit after you spend $1,000 in purchases on your new Card within the first 3 months. Terms Apply.
- Rated #1 in 6 Best Gas Credit Cards