After 14 hours of research evaluating 350 products, we picked Salomon Quest 4D 2 GTX as our top choice.
Hiking burns anywhere from 400 to 600 calories per hour, but instead of running out of steam within an hour or so (like at the gym), you can hike for hours without tiring. It’s also is a great way to get out of the city, breathe clean air, and enjoy the beauty of nature.
For many people (myself included), hiking is an occasional thing, so there's no need for all the fancy hiking extras. There are really only two things you NEED for a proper hike: a good water bottle and the right pair of hiking boots.
Hiking boots are perfect for the hardcore trails, not the sort you'd use for trail running. Hiking usually means straying from the typical hiking trails and getting out in the rugged wilderness of a forest, mountain, canyon, or valley.
But with literally THOUSANDS of hiking boots to choose from, how could you possibly determine which pair suits you best?
We've got you covered!
We've pored over all the top-rated hiking boots around, testing more than a few pairs ourselves (our poor, aching feet!) on our favorite hiking trails—all so we can bring you the list below with the best hiking boots for men according to your specific footwear preferences.
- An affordable pair of sub-alpine hiking boots
- Lightweight, durable leather uppers; great for day hikes
- Built-in toe protection to keep your feet safe
- Great mid-weight pair of hiking boots with above-par waterproofing
- Comfortable, stable, and supportive—great for heavier hikers
- Durable leather upper and rubber sole makes for a long-lasting boot
- THE MOST comfortable pair of hiking boots you'll ever wear, especially for those with high arches
- Never worry about blisters; wear them right out of the box
- Well-designed pair of hiking boots with decent stability and grip
- Leather upper is incredibly durable; great for years of use
- Comfortable and easy to wear; not too heavy
- Leather and Gore-Tex combination offer double waterproofing
- Perfect hiking boots for easy terrain and day hikes
- Lightweight, yet still beautifully durable
- Comfortable and easy to wear for hiking and trail running
- Heavy boots designed to keep up with any hiker
- Comfortable right out of the box; offers great stability and support
- Highly durable materials; long-lasting leather with good Gore-Tex waterproofing
- Incredibly durable, tough, and supportive
- Not too heavy; designed for your comfort
- Excellent traction, good waterproofing, stylish, and protective