With summer in full swing, it's time to gear up for camping! There's no better way to enjoy the warm weather than to hike out into the wilderness and test your mettle against all the nature can throw at you. Or, there's always "glamping" for those who prefer to combine the comforts of modern life with the beauty of Mother Nature.
Whether you're hiking or camping, you're going to need a solid, sturdy backpack! And you're going to want one that fits a sleeping bag and tent inside - especially if it's an overnight trip. You'll have a lot of supplies to haul, and the right backpack will make it much easier.
The good news is:
We've got a list of the top hiking backpacks and camping backpacks for you! No matter what you're looking for, you're sure to find it here whether you're looking for something waterproof, or perhaps a tactical backpack. After all, we've got everything from Osprey backpacks and Gregory backpacks to a travel backpack you just can't get enough of. If you're looking for a hiking backpack or a hydrapak, you'll find those here too. As you can see, we take this terribly seriously.
You might be wondering:
What should you look for in a good hiking or camping backpack?
- The right torso fit. The torso straps should sit right on your hips, reducing the load on your shoulders.
- Load-lifter straps. If you're carrying heavy gear, these straps will ease the tension on your lower back.
- Durable straps. You want a set of straps across your chest, with another across your waist. This will reduce the strain on your shoulders.
- The right frame. Internal-frame backpacks are ideal for stability on uneven terrain. External-frame backpacks accommodate uneven and very heavy loads. Frameless backpacks are ultralight and ideal for speed hikers.
- Extra features. This will include a rain-cover, a hydration reservoir, padding, attachment points, extra pockets, ventilation, and a solid top lid.
Short on time?
Topping the list is the Osprey Atmos AG 65, a backpack designed for hiking, climbing, mountain biking, skiing, and every other outdoor activity imaginable. It's a versatile backpack that gets the job done!