You know the drill: You walk up to the bar. You order your usual. Pay, drink, repeat. Well, that’s one way to do it. But for men looking for something a little more sophisticated, not to mention satisfying, ordering a more manly drink is much more of an acquired art form that takes a little guidance to properly hit the spot.
There’s an skill to drinking like a man, and it’s not something you (likely) learned in any classroom. When it comes to manly cocktails, the glass you drink out of can be just as meaningful as the method by which you sip. Likewise, the way you pour a drink can be just as important as the drink ingredients. And, broaching the subject of ingredients, it goes without saying, the manliest drinks usually cannot best be crafted from well bar liquors.
Whether you’re playing mixologist this evening, or hitting up cocktail hour, there’s a few things to keep in mind when it comes to making and ordering the most manly drinks:
- The liquor you choose is the foundation of the drink - Don’t be stingy. The manliest drinks are best when made with higher quality ingredients and consumed in lower quantities.
- Freshness counts. Week-old, flattened club soda and a half dried up lemon aren’t going to cut it.
- The glass should match the drink temperature. It sounds simple enough, but chilling a glass in your freezer or with ice while you shake ingredients can make a world of difference.
- Measurements matter - Don’t play the guessing game. If you want the right taste you might have to give instructions to your bartender or invest in some measuring cups.
- Know when to shake and when to stir. It may be fun to use your drink shaker or tempting to walk down the easy path and just stir a few ingredients with a knife, but it won’t yield you with the best results. As a general rule, drinks consisting of only spirits (liquors) are stirred, while anything else is better shaken.
Once you know your basics of manly mixology, it’s time start drinking the manliest drinks. Next time you’re in the mood for a cocktail, ditch your ‘usual’ and try one of these most manliest drinks instead.